San Francisco Birth Injury Lawyers
Attorneys offering support and guidance for injured babies and mothers
The birth of your baby should be a joyous, momentous event for you and your family. But when problems arise during pregnancy, labor or delivery and healthcare practitioners make negligent mistakes or poor decisions, the mother and her newborn baby may suffer birth injuries.
If your baby was injured because of the negligence or substandard care of trusted healthcare providers, the father-daughter team of San Francisco birth injury attorneys at the Law Office of Michael and Michelle Mandel is driven to help you hold the negligent doctors responsible for your harm and recover just compensation.
Medical malpractice in California
All medical practitioners — including obstetricians, gynecologists, surgeons, nurses and hospitals — have a duty to provide patients with care that meets the standards generally accepted in the medical community. When an act or omission by a healthcare provider falls below the standard of care and causes injury or death to the mother or baby, a lawyer may be able to help you sue for medical malpractice. California malpractice statutes and case law place a cap of $250,000 on the amount of compensation you can recover for pain, suffering, inconvenience, physical impairment, disfigurement and other non-economic injuries.
Types of birth injuries
Many types of medical errors can occur due to the negligence of medical professionals during pregnancy, labor and delivery. We assist parents in claims involving all types of negligent birth injuries, including:
- Cerebral palsy or other severe brain damage due to oxygen deprivation
- Erb’s palsy, brachial plexus palsy or Klumpke’s palsy, which result from nerve damage and affect movement of the hands, wrists and arms of the newborn
- Facial paralysis due to pressure applied to the face of the baby during childbirth, resulting in damaged facial nerves
- Shoulder dystocia, which occurs when the shoulder of the newborn becomes lodged against the pubic bone of the mother and manipulation is necessary for correct delivery
- Fractures, broken bones and skeletal deformities
Causes of birth injuries
With our extensive knowledge and experience in medical malpractice, we have the resources and qualifications to fight for the equitable verdict or settlement your family deserves. Our family-run law firm offers assistance when clients must deal with birth injuries caused by medical negligence such as:
- Delivery errors
- Failure to perform a necessary C-section
- Failure to monitor fetal development and large birth weight
- Failure to monitor fetal distress or lack of oxygen
- Failure to correct an umbilical cord choking the baby
- Failure to address dystocia, prolonged labor or abnormal birthing presentation
- Forceps and medical instrument injuries
- Negligent vacuum extraction
Contact an experienced medical malpractice injury attorney
The Law Office of Michael and Michelle Mandel is dedicated to providing the compassionate and practical legal guidance your family needs if your baby suffered birth injuries because of negligent medical care. To get the assistance of an experienced and knowledgeable birth injury lawyer, contact us online or call us at 415-640-7329 for a free initial consultation.